Following a wide experience and partnership with major banking and insurance organizations, SAFIRA became very much aware of how critical the decision process management is and how oblivious it can be to organizations. Therefore, SAFIRA developed a decision management solution (called Delegation of Authority solution - DoA) to meet corporate needs in managing the decision process.
DoA solution allows organizations to:
- Streamline the decision-making process
- Ensure that decisions are made at the appropriate level
- Easily adjust the decision-making process in tandem with corporate business needs
DoA solution highlights:
- Decision Making Process Standardization
- Lower operational risk & policy compliance
- Faster, better decisions: lower costs
- Business autonomy: improved time to market, low evolution cost
- Easy Strategy Redefinition & Simulation
- Independent Module
- Easily updated by Business Users
- Operational Systems Integration
- Customizable & Extensible
BUSINESS CHALLENGE AND MOTIVATION
Decisions are made all the time. Whether people notice it or not, everyone makes a decision almost every second. In any organization the legitimacy to make any given decision is very strongly related to the organization’s hierarchy.
But today’s very competitive market requires the ability to make good, quick and authoritative decisions aligned with the current corporate strategy. And corporate strategy in itself must adapt to an increasingly dynamic and demanding environment further complicating matters.
Thus, the following pains are common across every organization:
- Inconsistent and ad hoc decision making
- Unmanaged and uncontrolled processes
- Aggressive time-to-market goals
The typical pains identified above highlight the need to manage, control and give proper visibility to the organization’s decision process at all levels: strategic, tactical and operational.
Because every organization’s challenge is to leverage the demands of the environment in which it operates through their internal structure, hierarchy and strategy, the flexibility, adaptability and global alignment of the internal decision process becomes a key point towards the success of the whole corporation.
More often than not, the corporate decision-making process is diluted through the hierarchy sometimes in a very obscure and not so obvious fashion.
So… who makes decisions? And how can the decision process be managed? DoA enables organizations to manage their decision-making process giving proper visibility to decisions and people that make them.
In a nutshell, DoA streamlines the decision-making process ensuring the correct authoritative level according to corporate business rules.
In order to respond to these business needs, SAFIRA developed the Delegation of Authority solution based on the IBM ILOG JRules technology. SAFIRA’s proposal addresses two vectors:
- Determining the authoritative level for a decision
- Managing the decision process
The determination of the authoritative level is generically a matrix-based process with the organization’s hierarchy at its foundation.
A decision can be looked at as a proposal to perform some action. As with any proposal, there are several key characteristics that define the decision. Therefore, the core of the DoA engine uses a decision matrix correlating these key characteristics with authoritative levels through the validation of business defined conditions.
To manage the decision process, DoA supports modeling for several business concepts.
Business users can add definitions for concepts like escalation and delegation, SLAs and collegiality. Also, in addition to the authoritative level, DoA returns the next step to be taken which should be aligned with business policies.
In terms of architecture, SAFIRA added a new component to the current architecture in order to streamline the business interaction. The solution allows a clear separation between the day-to-day operations already in-place within the organization and decision system where the corporate decision-making process is modeled.
Our team is ready to start working with organizations to deploy the solution within the current systems ecosystem and make the required adjustments. The adjustments take into account company strategy definition, benchmark information and also technical integration of the solution.
Typical implementation to deliver the solution comprises:
- Analysis and Definition
- Apprehension of company’s pricing strategies
- Identification of existent and required information
- Definition of integration requirements
- Configuration and Adjustment
- Configuration of client strategy information
- Adjustment of the solution interface to client systems
- Deploy and Testing
- Support for integration and final testing
- Providing of solution training
- Monitoring of production rollout
Support and Evolution
After initial deployment, the business operation will control the solution configurations, making the needed adjustments to strategies. The support service is designed to help business run and improve, and periodically supply solution upgrades to meet new needs.